Sunday, August 31, 2008

One Magical Place, One Magical Olympian

I mentioned how completely addicted I was to the Summer Olympics this year and though I found myself watching many different events and my favorites have always included swimming and gymnastics, I found myself completely mesmerized by Michael Phelps and his race to win 8 gold medals in one Olympic Game. It was exciting, I was on the edge of my seat, some races won by a finger nail, it was absolutely a dream come true for this sports lover to watch Michael Phelps night after night, win race after race. I cried my way through every one of his medal ceremonies and just found myself interested in his story. Of course he wasn't the only one I followed I was absolutely impressed with Dara Torres and I enjoyed watching Natalie Coughlin swim and I cried when she won her gold too. I also spent many a late night watching Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson flip, leap and tumble their way onto the medal stand (and if you guessed I cried during those ceremonies too you're right!) But in the end Michael Phelps was the story of this Summer Olympics I loved watching history being made right before my eyes. So when Thursday afternoon my dear friend Leslie emailed me to tell me that Michael Phelps would be at the Magic Kingdom the very next morning I jumped at the chance to go. So there we were the next morning sitting on a curb on Main Street, we didn't mind that we would be waiting for an hour and a half before Phelps made his way passed, it was history and we were a part of it. I got chills every time they blasted the Olympic music, the crowd cheered every time they announced that Michael Phelps would appear. The energy was just incredible.
Here are a couple of pictures from the parade! We were right there on the curb and I was trying to wave and snap pictures at the same time but it was incredible!








I have often felt that when we lived in New York we didn't take advantage of all there was to do and see there. There were so many things I passed on because I was nervous about going on my own or we were just sick and tired of commuting into the city by the time the weekend rolled around. So that is one of the reasons I jumped at the chance to see Michael Phelps. It would have been crazy to pass up. As I stood there watching as the Greatest Olympian of all time rolled right by me I knew it was a moment to be savored, it was something so incredible that I feel like I can't stop talking about it or thinking about it. So thank you Leslie for making sure I knew about it and for hanging out with me on one very magical Friday morning in the Magic Kingdom.


The rest of the week was very busy. We ran into some car trouble on Monday but it was nothing a can of Coke and a new battery couldn't fix! Also Monday I spent a large part of the day vacuuming with my new awesome vacuum I don't think the carpets and furniture have ever looked better! I know it must sound crazy for someone to get so excited over a vacuum but when you have four animals shedding all over the place and you're obsessed with the place looking clean all the time a good vacuum is a god send!




Also this week I made another new recipe as promised! I made Peanut Butter, Banana, Chocolate Chip Muffins which I found here. I think they turned out really good and considering Mike has had at least two a day I think he liked them as well. Not sure what this week's new recipe will be but I will be sure to keep you posted. Diana reminded me that I should take a photo of my new recipes, I can't imagine that I didn't think of that. Thank goodness Diana knows me well enough to mention it before I made too many recipes without documenting them!
On Friday my cousin Doreen will be arriving with her awesome husband Orlando and my adorable godson Corey! I can't wait for this. Eight days of spoiling my godson in person and taking him to the parks will just be so much fun!!! Doreen keeps yelling at me because every time I leave the house I buy Corey something but I can't help it that's part of a Godmother's job isn't it? I will do my best to blog while they are here and to keep you up-to-date on the visit and how things are going and I imagine I'll have a picture or two to share ;)

1 comment:

Gabby said...

I am so happy that you've been taking advantage of all of the amazing opportunities that are coming your way. You are living the dream, my friend. Living the mother flippin' dream!

About Me

My photo
I live in Champions Gate, FL with my husband and our four fur babies (3 cats and 1 dog)I spend my time either being creative or trying to get the creative juices flowing. I love to cook, go for swims and take the dog for long walks.